20 January 2014

Baked Acorn Squash Side

It may not feel like Winter at all, but it is, which means squash is in season! I don't think I can get enough squash. Butternut, acorn, spaghetti squash, oh my!

Squash can be part of a main dish, like butternut squash ravioli, or can be a delicious side dish all by itself, like my recipe here. I enjoy how versatile squash is. There is always a new way to cook it or flavor it.

Ingredients
1 Acorn Squash
2 Tbs Nutritional Yeast
1/2 cup Vegetable Stock
Salt
Pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel, deseed and chop Acorn Squash into 1 inch cubes. Put all ingredients in a small baking dish and mix to coat the squash. Bake for 30 minutes or until the squash is soft enough to mash. Serve with your favorite dinner!

This recipe is too fool proof and easy not to try. If you have never worked with nutritional yeast before, this is a great recipe to try it for the first time. Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast, so it will not react with the foods you cook it with. It has a savory flavor and it kind of reminds me of cheese. Mixing everything together after the squash gets soft lets the vegetable stock and the yeast create a sauce. I mixed mine just enough to create a sauce and keep it a little chunky.

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment